Now that everyone realizes Google is serious about this “content is king” thing, generating organic traffic is more important than ever. If you want to consistently do well in Google, you need to have killer link bait content. That’s not always easy to do, and if you’re not smart about it you’re going to just end up looking foolish (and have no visitors coming to your site to buy anything).
If you want to create killer link bait, there are 5 key steps you need to take:
1. Identify a real need. Human beings aren’t as complex as you think they are. They have needs, wants, and desires. It can be as simple as the need for sex, or it can be as complex as a desire to install Linux printers. It might even be the need to laugh in the middle of a stressful day. Link bait identifies a need, looks at it, and (hopefully) solves it.
2. Communicate flawlessly. If your post is riddled with grammatical or logical errors, readers are going to click away and never come back. Linking back to your site is the farthest thing from their mind. Edit or perish.
3. Be interesting. Link bait is either stated in an interesting way or it contains interesting content. Content that is both is almost guaranteed to generate linkage.
4. Be relevant. Your link bait should either be timely – on the bleeding edge, or at least at the peak of the wave – or it should be evergreen, having value long after it’s published. Don’t waste your time talking about last week’s news.
5. Get the word out. No one is going to link to a page if no one sees it. You still have to do all of your other stuff – SEO tactics, social media marketing, and whatever other tactics you have in your arsenal – or no one’s going to see it in the first place.
If you follow these steps perfectly and every time you put something up, you’re going to find your organic links shoot up into the stratosphere and beyond. You’ll have the link bait that you need and want. Ignore one or more of these steps and you’ll flounder.